Tracking My Progress

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Abstinence

At my last meeting someone commented about how writing about what abstinence really means to her, helped her understand and achieve longer abstinences. Abstinence means making healthy choices with my food.  In this moment, for example, I am abstinent because I am not eating anything that makes me feel heavy or irratable or guilt ridden. It means choosing to bring a drink to work instead of hitting up the vending machine where the best of intentions always seem to go bad. It means keeping something healthy to eat with me at all times.  It means not waiting too long between meals so that my determination doesn't fail out of desperation. It means having real control over my life and physical and mental health, instead of the fake control that I feel at that moment that I decide *I am an adult and screw everything because I want to EAT and I do what I WANT*. Abstinence means loving myself.

I have also started cutting out meat and processed foods from my diet.  I may still eat free range, organically raised meats and fish, but after watching the Oprah show and seeing exactly how our mass produced live food is treated and how unhealthily they are raised with so many hormones and antibiotics... yuckkk.  If we are what we eat, no wonder there is so much cancer and little girls in jr high look like 21 year olds.  :(

No comments:

Post a Comment